Summertime is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors, and what’s better than a nice, refreshing shower after a day in the sun? If you’re looking to install an outdoor shower yourself, it’s easier than you might think. We’ll discuss the materials needed as well as the process of installation. Plus, we’ll also recommend some great products that will make your outdoor shower experience even better. So, let’s get started with this DIY Outdoor Shower reccomendations!
What's an Outdoor Shower?
An outdoor shower is exactly what it sounds like – a shower that’s located outside. This can be by the pool, in the garden, on the beach walkway or in the backyard. Outdoor showers can be as simple as a shower head attached to a garden hose. They can be complex setups with hot and cold water, tile, and drains. Most people opt for a simpler version, which is perfectly fine if you’re just looking for a way to rinse off after swimming or working in the garden. But a higher end shower may be just what you need to complete your own perfect outdoor oasis.
The Pros and Cons of DIY Outdoor Showers
There are a few things to consider before deciding whether or not to install an outdoor shower yourself.
First, let’s discuss the pros:
- You’ll save money: If you hire someone to install an outdoor shower for you, it will definitely cost more than if you do it yourself.
- Customize it however you want: If you have a specific vision for your outdoor shower, doing it yourself will allow you to make that vision a reality.
- It’s a fun project: If you’re the type of person who enjoys DIY projects, then installing an outdoor shower yourself will be a fun challenge.
Now, let’s discuss the cons:
- It takes time and effort: Installing an outdoor shower is definitely not a quick and easy project
- The difficulty can be tricky: If you’re not experienced with plumbing or carpentry, there’s a good chance that you’ll run into some trouble while trying to install an outdoor shower yourself.
DIY Outdoor Shower: Installing an Outdoor Shower by Yourself
Installing an outdoor shower is a fairly easy process that most people can do as long as you have the time and dedication. The first thing you need to do is decide where you want your shower to be located. Once you’ve decided on the perfect spot, it’s time to start gathering materials.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Enclosure Materials – Whether you want to build your shower walls from reclaimed wood or plastic, you’ll want to be sure you have enough for the size of structure you will erect.
- Water Supply – This can be a garden hose or a dedicated line for your outdoor shower.
- Shower Head – You can use a standard shower head or opt for a handheld version. Check out our catalog for some of the best options on the market.
- Diverter Valve – This attaches to your water supply and allows you to switch between the shower and other outdoor faucets.
- PVC Piping – This will be used to connect the diverter valve to the shower head.
- Drainage System – This can be as simple as a garden hose that drains into a nearby flower bed.
- Shower Accessories – This might include shower handles, valves, diverters, hand sprays, and other accessories.
Now that you have all of your materials, it’s time to start building and installing your outdoor shower. The first thing you’ll need to do is create the enclosure for you shower. Once that’s complete, you’ll attach the diverter valve to your water supply. Next, you’ll need to run the PVC piping from the valve to the freestanding shower or shower head and attach the shower head to the wall.
Once that’s done, it’s time to install the drainage system. If you’re using a garden hose, just attach it to the shower head and run it into your flower bed. If you’re using a dedicated drainage system, dig a hole near your shower location and install the drainage system according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Now that everything is installed, it’s time to test your shower! Turn on the water supply and make sure everything is working correctly. Once you’re satisfied, give your new outdoor shower a try.
Products To Consider
When installing an outdoor shower, there are a few products that you might want to consider. From shower heads to hand-held sprays, freestanding showers with a pull chain valve and more, you can get all your outdoor shower solutions from The Outdoor Shower Company.
If you choose to build a structure for your outdoor shower, this sleek wall mount shower is the perfect option for you. With a home made shower platform, this freestanding, single-origin shower will meet your needs. We also offer outdoor foot showers that mount onto your home or outbuilding and showers with multiple shower heads for a hotel or resort with many guests.
If You Get Stuck, We Can Help!
We at The Outdoor Shower Company know that not everyone is comfortable taking on a project like this themselves. While our showers, faucets and fixtures are the perfect complement to your DIY structure, our team of experts will happily help you install the perfect outdoor shower. We’ll handle everything from start to finish, so all you have to do is enjoy your new outdoor shower.